Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Snowy Day Math Activities


Hello! I have preschool on my mind.  Actually, I have preschool overload!  Tuesdays are always really crazy for me.  That's the day I plan and prepare the curriculum for the entire week.  Today I have a headache, and I don't think it is all due to preschool.  Just one of those days.  Oh well. 

I wanted to share with you two of the activities we are doing this week.  This week we are learning about the letter S, and we are reading the story The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.  This is a classic.  Anyway, I created a versatile mat to use for this unit (the orange one above).  The number squares can be adapted to the level of the child.  She can simply place a number on the mat and count out the corresponding amount of footprints, place two numbers and their correct amounts and then add them up, or sort different shapes starting with the "S" sound (square, star, circle) into different piles on the mat.  I will share my shapes activities another day.  If you laminate your mat, you could use it to roll out playdough "S"'s on.

The top mat is for patterns.  I purposely made the footprint blocks a little more challenging.  The feet go in opposite directions.  There are four lines for the patterns.  They increase in difficulty as you go down the page.  If you find that the footprints are too difficult for your child, simply use shapes or another object you have.

You are free to download these from my website.  Hope you have a great day! -Dari

No comments:

Post a Comment